Travelling in Packages or Solo Travelling



When people decide to go on a vacation, there are two kinds of travels, holiday package and travelling alone. A holiday package refers to the travel agency that you contact will you organize everything, from the timings of your flights, trains or buses to the places you will visit, the places where you will have your food and the amount of time you will spend in each destination. Solo travel on the other hand, gives you the freedom of planning everything on your own. However, there are pros and cons for both of them. As I prefer travelling solo, that is, without a travel agency, buckle up as we discuss about why everyone should try solo travelling at least once in their lifetime.

Solo travel forces you to become an independent person, to make all the decisions on your own and to step out of your comfort zone. Some of the major advantages of travelling without a travel agency is that you don’t have to compromise on your travels, you can wake up leisurely, take a day off if you are tired, eat the type of cuisine you like and make friends that you actually vibe and connect with. The group of people your travel agency will choose may not be the people within the same age group as you are nor ones with whom you share your interests with.

When you travel solo, your confidence builds up, you interact more with the native people and have random conversations,  discussing about their culture, traditions and customs. When you travel by a travel agency, you don’t get these opportunities because you are confined to your designated group and only interact with them.

CASE STUDY:

The case study is none other than my own. It’s about my travel in Bombay and how I come from a family who has always loved solo travelling. Due to my father’s love for travelling, ever since I was a child I have been fortunate enough to travel to most of the places in the country. Whenever my sister and I would start with our vacations my family would plan trips instantly.. First we would land in the capital of a particular state and then explore from there, which obviously comes with researching about the particular state beforehand. We always had the taste of going to offbeat places rather than the popular ones. When I say that, I mean that we prefer Little Vagator beach than the Baga beach in Goa. Baga beach is really famous and crowded than Little Vagator beach, the latter is quieter, peaceful as not many people know about it.

I have never traveled alone but I am an outstation student living in Bombay now. When I first visited Bombay, I was in the 8th grade and we went to all every famous sight. Marine Drive, Queen’s Necklace, The Gateway of India were some of them. On seeing the view of the great Taj Hotel, Juhu beach, Bandstand and getting a glimpse of and taking a picture near “Mannat” was absolutely astounding for me.

After appearing for my 12th grade, I came here for admission and had to stay in  a hostel for 15 days as we missed the college reopening days. It was just  my friend and I in a new city and so I decided to explore a new place every day. I was lucky to stay near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus as it led me to some of the most beautiful places I have ever come across.

As someone who is in college and loves painting, I love quiet cafes and visiting art galleries. The first place I visited was the Jehangir Art Gallery, but what struck me the most was the lane outside the gallery where so many talented artists showcased their paintings, sketches and other art pieces. I remember meeting an old man who had a taste in painting similar to mine i.e. watercolor portraits. We were easily able to strike a conversation although there was an age gap of at least 30-40 years. I ended up showing my artwork and buying one of his paintings. Here is a picture of him with his artwork on display.


The next place I explored was the beautiful Kala Ghoda and its beautiful cafes. One can’t miss the cheesecakes and milkshakes of “Poetry by Love and Cheesecake”. The café seemed like just the perfect place for college students and for all the book lovers out there, because there are book shelves from which you can grab a book and read it while sipping on hot chocolate. The picture on the left is me in the café with my glass of “Belgian Chocolate milkshake”.

Being a fan of fiction novels, I remember going to “Kitab Khana” after having breakfast at the famous “Kyani and CO.” One can honestly get lost in Kitab Khana as it’s a storehouse of huge collections allowing the reader sit and read their favorite book and also buy them.

Being an Assamese means spending time in the backyard, with acres of tea garden in view and sipping hot tea in a wooden cup, going to the “San-Cha Tea Boutique” and sipping some real Assamese and Darjeeling tea made me feel a whole lot better and less homesick. Also, tasting all their exotic teas and checking out their adorable crockery is a must. Below is a picture of the boutique that I had taken when I visited the place the fourth time.

The boutique I couldn't stop visiting.

I spent my last week before college started by exploring some handmade paper stores like “Bombay Paperie” and art galleries. I called up the galleries and asked if I could be there for their exhibitions. One I remember was particularly based on the cultures of Kerala and how they served their delicacies like banana chips and coconut water. Below is a picture of me in the gallery looking at the beautiful paintings.

Art Gallery

What I can conclude is that none of these hidden gems would have been mentioned in a travel agency itinerary. I would not have got to enjoy these peaceful quiet sights amidst the traffic jams in Bombay. I realize one can know more about a place, its rich culture if one decides to go solo and does not miss out the hidden gems. Bombay is more than just being the busiest city, its more than packed pubs and overwhelming local trains. If you visit Kala Ghoda during The Kala Ghoda Festival, you will be convinced that Bombay is not all about corporate buildings and skyscrapers but about music, art, culture, customs, traditions and so much more.

Kala Ghoda Arts Festival

Those fifteen days have been like a solo travel for me around the city of Bombay and it’s been one of my best experiences till date. 


Written by:
Liza Bora.

IMG_20200215_215515-01





Comments

Popular Posts